Monday, April 30, 2007

The Pressure

Hello Again.
I guess I need to make some changes to the blog. I stopped for a while right around the 6 game east coast swing in which the Dubs sunk to a season low 9 games below .500. But I never stopped watching, and I certainly didn't stop rooting and I definitely kept on heading out to the Big O.
Anyway, why I am writing today? The Pressure of course. I was busy reading up on the huge game 4 win last night (which, I'll get to more later of course) on Goldenstateofmind, when I stumbled across a link to this blog! WTF! How long had that even been there. I guess I should say thanks to those crazy Dubs fans. I have no idea how long its been there. Definitely a while, since I haven't posted in forever. But more than anything I felt like, well what the hell, the Dubs are in the F'ing playoffs. I need to blog about this. So without further adieu, here we go......

By now, you know all the stories, the Dubs finish down the stretch, the Clipper home collapse, the return of health of Baron and JRich.
But as I sit here typing, and thinking about what I should write about for the first time in 3 months, the thing that came to me, and I've thought this varying times during the year, was that THIS TEAM, THIS YEAR felt different. My first inclination was when Baron hit that shot against Houston at home to get the win. The second was the Monta buzzer beater to beat the Nets, and the third, was the comeback, and subsequent win at home against the Bulls. In previous years, that Ben Gordon 3 would have gone in, similar to the pre trade Stephen Jackson dagger to end the home Indiana game. But along the way, the Dubs sucked it up, they got healthy, they came together as (a new team, post trade) and they learned how to win, just in time to squeak into the playoffs.

Games 3 and 4 were amazing. They were my first two playoff games, and man were they amazing. On Friday, we got the parking lot around 4:40. For the next two hours, a steady stream of cars and dank smoke filled into the parking lot in what would be one of the greatest weekends of my life thus far. The crowd Friday was crazy, and the team kept feeding into their emotions. The game was over by the half, the Mavs looked stunned, and it just turned into a second half party, and a great Friday night.

Last night, the game was closer, the Mavs did a better job of dictating the tempo, Josh Howard was unstoppable in the first half, and only a amazing BD half court heave with 1.2 on the clock tied the game at 49 a piece. But honestly, could anyone else have done that other than BD? To borrow from the FSN radio spot
He's a warrior take it straight to the hole
Baron Davis Golden State ballin' outta control!

Baron is seriously ballin', showing all haters and detractors that his game is legit, a combination of power and speed that Dallas has been totally unable to stop. The only thing that has stopped Baron thus far is his own ejection from game 2.

The other reason I wanted to start up this blog thing again, and back to a point I was trying to make earlier, is that there is something special going on here. As you probably know, a win tomorrow, or in any of the final three possible games, an the Dubs will have pulled off the GREATEST UPSET IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA PLAYOFFS. Yes, an 8 seed has beaten a 1 seed before. In fact, it has happened twice, once in 1994, and once in 1999. But those series were best of 5. This is a best of 7. Part of the reason the NBA changed the 1st round to 7 games was to prevent something of this magnitude from happening. But this team feels different, from the SWAG to fans to the size of the current bandwagon, there is a certain mojo about the Dubs, and everyone knows it, and more importantly loves it.

I think the Dubs win it tomorrow, but I'm not going to make predictions, because I said earlier, I was done with that for the year. But hey...I already got my money on it. Go Dubs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home